Quartet of Bulls earn Big East crowns

Though the USF Track and Field team fell well short of a team indoor Big East Championship this weekend in New York City, several Bulls return to Tampa as individual champions.

USF got rolling Saturday at the New Balance Track and Field Center with a pair of event wins.

Senior Jared Thomas won the weight throw with a distance of 64 feet, 8.5 inches, earning the conference crown for the first time in his career.

“It feels really, really good,” Thomas said. “It was definitely worth (all the preparation), being able to support the team.”

Long jumper Monique Williams also earned a Big East title Saturday with a jump of 20 feet, 1.5 inches.

On day two of the competition, USF continued its success as another title was earned for both the men and women’s teams.

A pair of sprinters, who are also on the football team, took the top two spots in the 60-meter dash, with Lindsey Lamar just edging out Kayvon Webster to win the event.

Lamar finished in 6.78 seconds, with Webster right behind at 6.83 seconds.

“It feels like a dream,” Lamar said. “It feels even better to go one-and-two with my teammate. (Webster and I were) roommates in the hotel this weekend and we talked about how we both had to get on the podium.”

It was the second straight time a USF football player won the 60-meter dash after Derrick Hopkins took home the title last year.

Marqueshia Stallworth also earned a Big East title in the triple jump, with a distance of 41 feet, 9.25 inches, just ahead of Williams, who finished second.

Notre Dame took home the men’s team title, with USF finishing fifth. Georgetown won on the women’s side, with the Bulls placing seventh.