Student arrested for gun in dorm

University Police (UP) arrested a 20-year-old USF student Tuesday afternoon after finding a .25-caliberpistol in his dorm room.

Around 1:40 p.m., UP received an anonymous tip through its EyeWitness tip line that Kevin S. Caster, a biology student, had a weapon in his dorm room, UP spokesman Lt. Chris Daniel said.

“In following up that tip, officers went to (Caster’s)residence hall, made contact with him there (and) had a discussion with him, at which point he relinquished theweapon,” Daniel said.

The arrest was made at around 2 p.m. in the Holly E Residence Hall, Daniel said. Caster was charged withpossession of a firearm on school grounds, a felony offense.

Caster was being held atOrient Road Jail as of Tuesday night, and his bond was set at $2,000,according to the arrest report on the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office website.

Daniel said he did not know whether the firearm was loadedat the time of the arrest or if Caster owns a concealedweapons permit. However, Daniel said students aren’t allowed to have firearms on campus regardless of whether they own a permit.

According to USF General Counsel Policy 6-009, “the use, storage and possession ofweapons on USF System property” is prohibited, withexceptions including ROTC cadets and UP officers.

Daniel said students must know that it not acceptable to store firearms on campus.

“Anyone that has a weaponis definitely encouraged to keep it at a secure, off-campuslocation,” he said.

-Reporting by Maryam Saleh