National Signing Day: Holtz expected to welcome small class

National Signing Day today likely won’t carry the same stresses it held last year for the USF coaching staff.

Coming off a 5-7 season and missing a bowl game for the first time in six years, coach Skip Holtz and his staff scoured junior college programs for older players with more experience who could likely have a more immediate effect on the football field next season because of their participation in spring practice.

Holtz brought in nine new players for the spring semester in January, but is expecting another nine to join the program today by making their verbal commitments official and signing their National Letters of Intent to play for the Bulls.

Verbal commitments are non-binding, so until a player faxes in his paperwork and everything is checked for accuracy and completion, players are not officially tied to the school.

Those expected to sign with USF today include a dynamic pair of offensive weapons in tight end Sean Price, considered to be one of the best recruits to ever commit to USF, and wide receiver D’Vario Montgomery. According to rivals.com, both are four-star recruits.

Price, from North Marion High School in Citra, north of Ocala, is rated as the fifth-best tight end prospect in the country at 6-foot-4, 232 pounds. He committed to USF after visiting Oklahoma and chose the Bulls over defending national champion Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Michigan and Notre Dame, among others.

Montgomery, from Winter Park High School in Winter Park, is the second four-star wide receiver prospect to choose USF in as many years, following Andre Davis. At 6-foot-3, 215 pounds, Montgomery is considered to be the 21st-ranked wide receiver prospect in the country and had scholarship offers from most programs around the country, including Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma, Ohio State and West Virginia, among others.

Also in the class expected to sign with USF today are: offensive lineman Kofi Amichia, athlete/defensive end Guito Ervilus, defensive back Jarvis McCall, defensive end Daniel Perry, running back Michael Pierre, athlete Jalen Spencer and wide receiver LaMarlin Wiggins.

Gousfbulls.com will provide full coverage as National Letters of Intent arrive at USF and Holtz will attend a National Signing Day Party at Stumps in Channelside starting at 5:30 p.m.