Sanford earns minor league award

Former USF starting pitcher Shawn Sanford has made a name for himself in the minor leagues as he continues his young professional career.

Sanford left USF in 2009 after posting a 5-4 record with a 4.68 ERA in his junior season. He was a 13th-round selection of the San Francisco Giants, which made him the 388th overall pick.

This season, Sanford is 4-6 with a 2.80 ERA in 90 innings pitched for the Augusta Greenjackets, the Giants’ Class-A affiliate. Sanford has moved up a league in each season of his professional career, starting with the Arizona Giants of the rookie league in 2009 before being called up to the Salem-Keizer Volcanoes of the short-season Class-A league for 2010.

Sanford’s performance with the Greenjackets this season was strong enough to earn him a spot in the South Atlantic League All-Star Game, which was played in Salisbury, Md., on June 21.

Sanford was a model of efficiency, needing one pitch to record an out against the only batter he faced.

On Tuesday afternoon, Sanford was named South Atlantic League Pitcher of the Week after pitching seven shutout innings against the Charleston RiverDogs.

Klotz awarded

USF rising senior forward Chelsea Klotz was awarded player of the week last week for her efforts in the Women’s Premier Soccer League.

Founded in 1997, the league is divided into both professional and amateur teams. Klotz plays for Brandon FC – one of the amateur sides.

Klotz scored two game-deciding goals for the Brandon FC Flames against Tampa Bay Hellenic and the South Florida Strikers, assisting the team with two clutch wins in the Sunshine Conference.

Klotz is one of many USF players honing their skills with Brandon FC. Bulls teammates Kayla Bala, Noelle Pineiro, Kelly Campbell and Alexandra Eagle are also on the roster.

Klotz received numerous awards in leading the Bulls to the second round of the NCAA Tournament, highlighted by a selection to the All-Big East First Team.

Quackenbush a success

Former USF closer Kevin Quackenbush is off to a hot start with his new team, the Eugene Emeralds.

Quackenbush has made nine appearances for the San Diego Padres’ short-season Class-A affiliate, earning a 1-0 record with seven saves. He is yet to yield an earned run this season.

Quackenbush was an eighth-round selection by the Padres after picking up 12 saves with a 0.80 ERA in his senior season and earning second-team All-Big East honors.