New soccer stadium named

The new USF Soccer Stadium already awaits a new name.

The new facility will become the first non-practice, USF-owned facility to be named after a donor or corporation when it adorns its new name, Corbett Soccer Stadium, in time for the men and women’s soccer seasons in August.

Cornelia Corbett has been active in the Tampa Bay sports community for decades. Corbett and her husband, Dick, became involved in ownership of the original North American Soccer League’s Tampa Bay Rowdies in 1983. She became principal owner of the Rowdies in 1986.

The Corbett’s made a donation of $1.5 million to the USF Athletic Department with the intention of having the stadium named after her, according to USF Athletics spokesman Jeremy Sharpe. It was their first contribution to USF.

Located directly east of the Athletics building and between the USF Baseball/Softball Complex and the Frank Morsani Football Practice Center, the Corbett Soccer Stadium will hold 1,000 fans in permanent folding seats on the south side of the field, with additional seating for up to 2,000 fans located on grass berms on the other sides.

The new stadium will open in August, with the old stadium remaining open for track and field purposes. Because the Corbett Soccer Stadium will not feature a running track like its predecessor, it will provide a more intimate atmosphere for soccer – the furthest seat from the field in the new stadium will be closer to the touchline than the nearest seat in the old stadium.

Quackenbush honored

It’s been a good few days in the life of former USF closer Kevin Quackenbush.

The National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association has named Quackenbush, who collected 12 saves with a 0.80 earned run average this season, to the All-American second-team.

Quackenbush is the first USF player to earn All-American honors since Ross Gload was named to the third-team in 1997.

“Being named to the All-American team is a real honor,” Quackenbush said. “I really can’t believe it. I never expected it, but I’m very proud to be named to the team.”

An eighth-round pick of the San Diego Padres in the 2011 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft, Quackenbush has signed his professional contract and will begin his career with the Padres’ short season Class-A affiliate, the Eugene Emeralds of the Northwest League.

Fontanez joins Mets

USF’s Friday night starter for all four years of his USF career, starting pitcher Randy Fontanez has signed with the New York Mets organization.

A 27th-round pick in the MLB Draft, Fontanez will begin his career with the Brooklyn Cyclones, the Mets’ short-season, Class-A affiliate.

Koscso signs with Rays

Former USF third baseman Jonathan Koscso, who started every game of his four-year career as a Bull, will be heading to Princeton, W.V., to begin his professional career with the Princeton Rays of the Appalachian League.

A 31st-round pick of the Tampa Bay Rays, the former Jesuit High School standout signed his contract this week and will defer admission to the USF College of Medicine to test out a career in baseball.