“Grey’s Anatomy” plans musical episode

Piggybacking on the success of hit musical shows like “Glee,” the ABC drama “Grey’s Anatomy” will take a stab at a musical episode later in the season.

According to TVGuide.com, executive producer Shonda Rhimes broke the news this week, saying to TVGuide.com that instead of Broadway songs, fans of the show can expect music that fits in line with songs you might actually hear during a regular episode.

Despite some initial skepticism by critics, Rhimes said she is not worried about the risky move.

“Nobody is going to be dancing and singing down the halls; that’s not our show,” Rhimes said.

But critics like Kevin Fallon at The Atlantic are not so sure of the show’s musical aspirations. Despite noting the positives of having a Tony-award winning cast member (Sara Ramirez), he expressed his doubts about the success of the scheduled episode.

“In other words, the doctors should prep the ER for the aftermath of a surefire train wreck,” Fallon said.

But the episode does make sense financially. Shows like Fox’s “Glee” pull in a solid 10 million viewers each week, according to Nielsen Ratings. The Wall Street Journal reported that the songs from the show have even topped the Beatles as most appearances by a non-solo act on the Billboard Hot 100.

This week’s upcoming release of “Burlesque,” starring singers Cher and Christina Aguilera, proves that musical movies are still flooding the Hollywood production line. The silver screen musicals “Nine,” “Mamma Mia,” “Sweeney Todd” and “Hairspray” have made about $1 billion combined worldwide in the past four years, according to BoxOfficeMojo.com.

There is no question that the average American media consumer is in a musical mood. “Surefire train wreck” or not, a musical episode of “Grey’s Anatomy” will serve its purpose to further pique the choral curiosity of viewers and stimulate an end-of-season crescendo in ratings.