Frontcourt leads way in USF win

It was a game that coach Stan Heath envisioned would be the norm for his team this season.

Junior forward Augustus Gilchrist scored 23 points on 8-of-8 shooting to help the Bulls frontcourt dominate en route to a 76-63 home win against Georgia Southern on Sunday.

“It’s the strength of our team,” Heath said. “Between them having a little more patience in their game and (junior guard Anthony) Crater and those guys doing a better job of finding those guys in better spots was big for us.”

The Bulls started quick, jumping out to a 9-0 lead thanks to senior center Jarrid Famous, who scored six points in the first 3:40.

“The last two games we came out sluggish,” Famous said. “We wanted to come out today with passion.”

USF, coming off a 65-59 loss to UCF on Thursday, took a 39-30 lead into halftime thanks to a 63 percent effort (15-24) in the first half. The Bulls shot 60 percent (24-40) for the game.

“I thought we were more effective scoring around the basket,” Heath said. “I thought we took high-quality shots.”

A big reason for the Bulls shooting turnaround was Gilchrist, who didn’t miss a field goal (8 for 8).

Gilchrist averaged just 9.7 points in the first three games.

“I thought he let the game come to him,” Heath said. “I thought he had more trust in his teammates where if he didn’t have it, he’d throw it back out and re-post and get it right back again. He kept it pretty simple.”

Also starring for USF was Crater, who had a career-high seven assists.

“I thought he finally used that speed a little bit to turn the corner and get in the paint,” Heath said. “He’s got to do more of that.”

Famous (12 points) and sophomore forward Toarlyn Fitzpatrick (13 points) also had season highs for the Bulls.

USF committed 21 turnovers and shot 65 percent from the line (24-37).