USF student killed in fatal car accident by alleged drunk driver

A USF student was killed in an accident involving a drunk driver early Saturday morning – the second death by vehicle of a USF student in as many months.

According to the Tampa Police Department, Kate Kohlier, a 24-year-old senior who was majoring in psychology, was one of two victims killed by the alleged driver, Matthew Moye, 34, who is a local dentist at Big Bend Dental in Tampa.

According to the Tampa Tribune, Doug Kozar, a graduate from the University of Tampa, was the second victim.

Joao Barbosa, 47, was walking with Kohlier and Kozar to their cars from the Marriott Waterside Hotel in Harbour Island, where they worked, when Moye lost control of his black Cadillac. Barbosa jumped out of the car’s path, but Kohlier and Kozar were unable to do so.

University spokesman Michael Hoad said in an e-mail that Kohlier was one month from graduating.

Kohlier’s death is the second fatal car accident involving a USF student this semester. The other involved Kayoka Ishizuka, a postdoctoral student and researcher, who was hit and killed in late September by a car while riding her bicycle home on Bruce B. Downs Boulevard.

“It’s especially terrible, to me, that two promising young women learning at USF were killed at roadsides this semester,” Hoad said. “Kay and now Kate.”

Moye was arrested and taken to Orient Road Jail on Saturday. He was released Sunday at 5:17 p.m. after posting bail, according to the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office police report.

According to the report, Moye is charged with two counts of DUI manslaughter, two counts of vehicular homicide, DUI with property damage or personal injury and battery on a law enforcement officer.