Daniels cant run as much, Holtz says

After watching redshirt sophomore B.J. Daniels rush for a team-high 17 carries against Florida, USF coach Skip Holtz has some decisions to make.

Do he and offensive coordinator Todd Fitch have to harness Daniels’ running? Or do they give him the freedom to make plays as he sees fit?

“I think B.J. ran the ball more than even he wanted to (Saturday),” Holtz said. “But a lot of those decisions are his. It affects the way he can be poised in the pocket and read downfield.”

Though Daniels rushed for 107 yards, he threw four interceptions, and his passing could have been affected by the amount of rushing, Holtz said.

Daniels, who led the team in rushing attempts and yards last year, had only five rushes in the opener but was asked to run much more against Florida; though Holtz said a lot of Daniels’ rushes were his own reads.

“We have to probably take the ball out of his hands a little bit more knowing that his decisions are not selfish ones, they’re competitive ones,” Holtz said.

“Running the ball and doing some of the things he does extremely well athletically take a lot of emotion where playing quarterback takes a lot of poise,” he said. “Those are two totally different things in the middle of game day.”

Bogan update

Holtz said senior receiver Dontavia Bogan, limited with an ankle injury, didn’t practice Tuesday and is “probably going to miss most of this week. I don’t know what his status will be for the game.”

Bogan caught one pass for 12 yards against Florida. USF has a bye this week before hosting Western Kentucky on Sept. 25.

Etc.

Senior defensive end Craig Marshall (knee) and senior offensive lineman Jake Sims (ankle) missed Tuesday’s practice because of injury, but “they should both be fine. They should be a couple days,” Holtz said.