Selvie, Murphy agree to terms with Rams

Former USF defensive end George Selvie and cornerback Jerome Murphy have each agreed to contract terms with the St. Louis Rams, the St. Louis Globe-Democrat reported Saturday.

Murphy, who the Rams drafted in the third round with the 65th overall selection in April’s NFL draft, becomes the highest pick to have signed thus far.

Profootballtalk.com reported that Murphy will sign a four-year deal worth $2.727 million, which includes a signing bonus of $937,739. Selvie, a seventh-round selection, also agreed to a four-year contract.

The Rams drafted a total of 11 players, including former Oklahoma quarterback and 2008 Heisman Trophy winner Sam Bradford, who went first overall.

Basketball home and away opponents announced

The Big East released home-and-away opponents for the 2010-11 men’s basketball season, with USF’s home slate highlighted by most of the Big East’s top teams.

Seven of the Bulls’ nine home opponents reached the NCAA tournament last year: Syracuse, Villanova, Georgetown, Pittsburgh, Marquette, Notre Dame and Louisville. USF also hosts DePaul and Providence next season.

Road games include West Virginia, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Connecticut, St. John’s, Seton Hall, DePaul, Providence and Rutgers.

Ex-USF star hired as batting coach

Former USF baseball standout Chris Heintz has re-joined the Bulls as hitting coach after former hitting coach Bryant Ward left USF over the weekend to take the same position at Loyola Marymount.

“I know there is a foundation in place here to win championships,” Heintz said in a statement. “We have a really talented group of returning position players, a very deep pitching staff led by two potential All-Americans and a promising class of incoming recruits who will step in and contribute immediately. I can’t wait to get started.”

Heintz made his managerial debut June 21 with the Gulf Coast League Twins, the rookie “A” level minor league affiliate of the Minnesota Twins. He played in the majors with the Twins from 2005-07 before moving into coaching.

Ward, who spent four years as USF hitting coach, coached the Bulls lineup to a .331 average in conference play in 2009 before a disappointing .287 mark last season.

Heintz, 35, who graduated from USF in 1998, holds the school’s single-season records with 106 hits and 95 RBI set in 1996.

“We had a number of good candidates for this position, but Chris Heintz stood out above them all,” USF coach Lelo Prado said in a statement. “Our players will benefit from his experience in professional baseball – both as a player and as a coach. Chris has a good demeanor and will be a great teacher. And most importantly he is an alumnus of the program. He is passionate about USF baseball, and he will make an immediate impact on our program.”