New York Fashion Week 2010

New York Fashion Week ended today, but the latest style must-haves are just beginning to flow off the runway as designers, once again, express their newest fashion statements.

The week-long event, typically held in New York City’s Bryant Park, was the last time the city hosts designers at this location. Starting in September, New York Fashion Week will move to its new home: Damrosch Park at Lincoln Center, nytimes.com reports.

There were a few designers that stood out this week.

The young designer Thakoon, drifted from the softer feminine looks to take on a rough-edged approach.

Chiffon sleeves, dark melancholy tones, silk tiger prints and matching mink and fox furs worked well — fur-trimmed leather heels tied the looks together.

In addition to the show’s mix of loose and tailored looks, it also featured an avant-garde bright yellow frill-fringed dress.

The collection depicted a perfect interpretation of Thakoon’s bohemian take on beauty.

Betsey Johnson’s fun collection displayed emotion and energy.

In pink and green neon trench coats and vivid red leggings, her models took to the hay-covered runway proving that bright colors are back.

A staple of Johnson’s looks was a pair of black lace gloves – a feature among many other designers this season.

This collection was an explosion of Johnson’s personality, who ended her show with a handstand.

Of all the colors featured this week, red had the most meaning.

The Heart Truth Red Dress Collection raised awareness while turning heads. In 2002, the organization created “The Red Dress” – a campaign to raise awareness about women’s risk of strokes and heart disease.

Twenty women including Regina King, Kimora Lee, and Heidi Klum, modeled red dresses to show their support for the line, which featured designs by Tracy Reese and Tadashi Shoji.

The dresses will be auctioned off to benefit heart disease awareness.

This year’s shows were not only fearless, but incorporated conventional designs with chic looks and distinctive messages.