No. 3 Bulls look for success on the road

At the beginning of the season, USF men’s soccer coach George Kiefer asked his players to think of goals they would like to achieve this year.

Aside from winning another Big East championship, players said they wanted to
improve their road record, which was 4-5-0 last season. With the first Big East road
trip this weekend at West Virginia (2-2-2,1-1-0) and Pittsburgh (1-6-0, 0-2-0), USF will try to work toward that goal.

“We have a good opportunity to build upon a major team goal of having a good record on the road,” Kiefer said. “The guys had a great week of training and are looking forward to playing some key Big East matches. We just have to continue to focus on one game at a time.”

No. 3 USF will face West Virginia on Friday night at 8 p.m. at the Dick Dlesk Soccer Stadium. After Friday’s match, the Bulls will take a one-hour bus ride to the University of Pittsburgh. Sunday, the Bulls meet the Panthers at 1 p.m.

Pittsburgh has been outscored 14-3 in six consecutive losses since winning its season opener Sept. 1. However, Kiefer said his players are not overlooking any teams just because of their record.

“Teams with poor records tend to be very unlucky,” he said. “In many cases they do more to get wins, especially when they haven’t won in a while.”

Kiefer said he is giving the team a day off on Saturday so they can watch USF’s football game against FSU.

“Fortunately we play on Friday and Sunday, so the guys can all sit back and watch the football game on Saturday,” he said. “We are all really excited about it.”