Megahed readmitted to University

After his release from immigration custody last week, Youssef Megahed was re-enrolled at USF on Tuesday.

Megahed said the University informed him by phone that his application had been accepted.

School officials released a statement Wednesday.

“USF can confirm the ‘status’ of a student … Today, we can confirm the status of Youssef Megahed as a current student for the fall semester 2009.”

University officials were unable to comment further on Megahed’s readmission because of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), a federal statute that prohibits the disclosure of student records.

Megahed said he is taking one engineering class this semester. It is the only class he needs to obtain a bachelor’s degree.

Megahed said he applied for readmission in June. He was originally admitted to the University in 2002 and was enrolled at USF when he was arrested in August 2007.

Police pulled over Megahed and former USF student Ahmed Mohamed for speeding in Charleston, S.C. During the traffic stop, authorities discovered PVC pipes, fuses and other materials in the trunk of their vehicle.

Megahed was acquitted on federal explosive charges in April 2009. A few days later, he was placed in custody by Immigration and Customs Enforcement, which claimed Megahed should be deported for being likely to engage in terrorist activities or engaging in terrorist activities.

Miami Judge Kenneth Hurewitz decided Friday that the United States government did not have a strong enough case to convict Megahed. Megahed was released from federal custody Friday.

It was the second time Megahed was found not guilty of those charges.

Hurewitz has 30 days to write an order explaining his decision to release Megahed. Once the judge issues his order, the government has 30 days to decide if it will appeal the judge’s decision.

At the time of Megahed’s original arrest, he was in the process of applying for U.S. citizenship. Megahed said he plans to interview with government officials regarding his citizenship application.

Megahed does have a green card, which makes him a U.S. resident.

Megahed said his top priority was to return to USF to receive his bachelor’s degree.

“I am very happy to get back to my normal way of life and go back to school,” he said.