Tresey joins staff

Only one vacancy remains on the South Florida football staff after coach Jim Leavitt announced the hiring of former Cincinnati defensive coordinator Joe Tresey on Wednesday. Tresey will receive a $190,000 salary and coordinate the USF defense and oversee the defensive backs.

Tresey has 13 years of college coaching experience, including conference championships at Cincinnati and Central Michigan (2006), and an Orange Bowl appearance with the Bearcats (2009). He replaces Wally Burnham, who resigned two weeks ago to take the defensive coordinator job at Iowa State.

“I don’t know that I need to say much about coach Tresey — his resume and experience at the BCS level tells the story,” Leavitt said in a statement. “We are excited about him joining our staff, and we’re excited that we can get right into spring practice with him.”

Two Cincinnati defenders who Tresey coached were selected in the 2008 NFL draft. In 2007, the Bearcats forced 42 turnovers, tying with the Bulls for best in the country, and led the nation with 26 interceptions. Cincinnati forced eight turnovers during a 38-33 victory over USF at Raymond James Stadium on Nov. 3.

Last season, the Bearcat’s defense held the Bulls to 356 yards of offense and 10 points, forcing three Matt Grothe interceptions during their 24-10 victory Oct. 30. However, Tresey was fired in February by UC coach Brian Kelly.

“Joe was an integral part of our Big East championship in 2008,” Kelly said then in a statement. “But we differ philosophically on where we want to go defensively in the future.”

Tresey, who graduated from Ohio State in 1982, was defensive coordinator at Georgia Southern and Akron before joining Central Michigan, and coached the defensive backs at the Virginia Military Institute from 1999-2001.

Spring practice begins Monday, and the only remaining position to be filled for USF is
linebackers coach.