Truck hits student bicyclist on campus

A USF student riding a bicycle on campus was hit by a black pickup truck and airlifted to Tampa General Hospital on Wednesday.

University Police Sgt. Mike Klingebiel said the truck crossed the double yellow lines on USF Bull Run Drive near USF Orange Drive around 1 p.m.

The name of the 20-year-old male student who was hit was not released as of press time.

The driver, Francisco Hernandez, is not affiliated with USF. He was arrested at the scene and charged with driving with a suspended license and reckless driving, Klingebiel said.

Hernandez was arrested on charges of driving with a suspended license in 2002 and later for domestic violence, according to Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office records.

He is being held at Orient Road Jail on a $4,000 bond.

In light of the accident, Edward Hillsman, senior research associate at the Center for Urban Transportation Research, said he recommends students take defensive bicycle courses. The Florida Bicycle Association (FBA) offers “crash avoidance” classes

Hillsman also said the book Traffic by Tom Vanderbilt helps explain how the mind of a driver works.

“In the book, it says our bodies and brains didn’t develop to move faster than 20 miles per hour,” he said.

For more information on bicycle safety, visit FBA’s Web site, floridabicycle.org.

Additional reporting by Candace Kaw.