Jones hits 1,000 career points

Most of Dominique Jones’ career has been impressive — Wednesday night was no different.

USF’s dynamic sophomore guard became the second fastest player in school history to surpass 1,000 career points Wednesday night, despite a 75-60 loss to Seton Hall at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.

“You have to give Jones credit, because he’s doing it night in and night out against the opposing team’s best defender,” said USF coach Stan Heath. “As soon as we’re able to get some help for him, and another player in the wing area, I think that basket will open up more for him.”

Jones, who entered the game with 999 points, broke the mark in his 58th career game with a free throw at 17:11 in the first half. The fastest player to surpass 1,000 career points in program history was Tony Grier in the 1980-81 season.

“(Jones) can be even more effective — his best basketball is still in front of him,” Heath said.

Jones joins 16 players in program history to reach the mark, the most recent being Terrence Leather in the 2004-2005 season.

However, that wasn’t the only history Jones made. He also moved into 16th place on the school’s all-time scoring list with 1,019, passing Doug Wallace.

“Jones is still learning some things, but it’s been very impressive, what’s he’s been able to accomplish in a short amount of time,” Heath said.

The Pirates (15-12, 6-9), who led 32-30 at halftime, began the second half on a 16-4 run, and the Bulls never recovered.

USF got 20 points each from Jones and freshman Augustus Gilchrist, and junior center Alex Rivas added 18. However, the rest of the team combined for only two points.

Heath said he was disappointed with the Bulls’ inconsistency on offense.

“There is a mental side of this game, and you have to be able to play with some confidence, you have to be ready to shoot,” he said. “We have to prepare ourselves for what’s in front of us better.”

Jones has been consistent, however. He’s the only player in the country’s six BCS conferences this season to lead his team in points (508), rebounds (154), assists (108) and steals (40).

The Bulls return home to face West Virginia on Sunday at the Sun Dome at 4 p.m.

“We just have to hang in there and keep fighting with other teams like we’ve been trying to do,” Heath said. “We’re going to do that until the end.”