Canales promoted, McGeoghan hired

Even if coach Jim Leavitt can’t seem to find a defensive coordinator, he’s found his offensive coordinator.

Leavitt announced the promotion of Mike Canales to offensive coordinator Wednesday night, as well as the hiring of former NFL player Phil McGeoghan as wide receivers coach. Canales will also coach the quarterbacks.

“We are fortunate to have coach Canales back as offensive coordinator, and I know that he will do a tremendous job,” Leavitt said in a statement. “Mike knows this program and the offense inside and out, and I know he will continue to be a tremendous leader for our offense.”

This will be Canales’ second term as USF offensive coordinator. He was coordinator and quarterbacks coach from 1996-2000 and then took a job with the New York Jets.

After stints at N.C. State — where Canales coached NFL quarterback Philip Rivers — and Arizona, he returned to USF, where he’s spent the past two seasons as passing game coordinator and receivers coach.

McGeoghan played three seasons at the University of Maine. Before that, he played four seasons in the NFL with the New Orleans Saints, Denver Broncos, Oakland Raiders and Jets. McGeoghan played under Canales in New York.

“We called him ‘full-go-Phil’ when he was with the Jets,” Canales stated in a release. “He never did anything half-speed. He has a lot of energy and passion for the game. I have been impressed with how thorough and organized he is as a coach, and I am excited to get him here.”

McGeoghan said he’s excited to become a Bull.

“It’s a remarkable opportunity to coach at a BCS and Big East school like USF,” he said in a statement. “Coach Canales has been my mentor as a coach, player and person since 2003. I feel so privileged to be a part of coach Leavitt’s staff and call myself a Bull.”

McGeoghan began his coaching career at Maine in 2007, serving as tight ends and wide receivers coach.

“Phil McGeoghan has a great football mind,” Leavitt said. “He is a first-class coach with a ton of character. He is also very familiar with coach Canales and the offense we will run. Phil’s passion and expertise will immediately be assets to
our program.”