University Police: Alcohol leads to four arrests

Multiple alcohol-related incidents on campus led to arrests this weekend, according to police records.

A sobriety checkpoint from 1 a.m. to 3 a.m. Friday led to a four arrests, said University Police spokeswoman Lt. Meg Ross, and the trend seems to have continued through the weekend.

On Saturday afternoon, student Ricardo Abreu was found passed out in the bed of a USF police officer’s truck.  He was found to be intoxicated after officers administered a breathalyzer test. Abreu was arrested on charges of trespassing and was released later that day.

Late Saturday night, Jessica Whiffen was arrested on charges of possession of alcohol. A UP officer found her walking outside a dormitory area with a can of beer just before midnight.

Two arrests followed these incidents.

A disturbance call to UP at 1:30 a.m. Sunday led officers to a man, Jose Kostyun, who was “totally naked and … smelled of alcohol” in the lobby of Cypress D apartments, according to the police affidavit.  He was arrested on charges of disorderly conduct, disorderly intoxication and resisting arrest without violence.

At 3:45 a.m., a USF student was found traveling south on 56th Street in the northbound lanes. The student, Yvette Guzman, was arrested on charges of driving under the influence of alcohol after receiving a breathalyzer test.

All have been released on bond.

Ross said alcohol-related arrests usually surge around a certain point in the semester, but was unsure whether that point was near.

“I don’t know that there have been any particular trends,” Ross said.  “It’s hard to pinpoint a reason.”

She also said officers could have been more on the lookout for alcohol-related happenings because of the DUI checkpoint.