One last exhibition

She runs the court. She dribbles with ease. She plays solid defense. She’s Alexis Givands, and she’s a perfect fit at the guard position for South Florida, said women’s basketball coach Jose Fernandez.

That’s probably why, before stepping on the court for the Bulls, she was in the starting lineup.

Givands, a first-year transfer, was named a starter by Fernandez on Tuesday. She joins four seniors — Shantia Grace, Jessica Lawson, Brittany Denson and Jazmine Sepulveda — who will start the first regular season game for the Bulls.

“(Givands) is very versatile and has a great body,” Fernandez said. “She really has the ability to attack the basket, and she can knock down shots, too.”

Givands and the rest of the USF team will hit the Sun Dome court for their final exhibition game of the year against DT3 at 7 p.m. USF won its first exhibition game 91-67 Saturday against the Miami Sun.

The Bulls will play their first regular season game Nov. 15 against Central Connecticut.

Givands said she can’t wait to play more with her teammates.

“I’m lucky to be here,” she said. “It feels great to be able to come in and start right away given how good we are. It wasn’t easy, and that’s how I expected it to be.”

Fernandez said that despite naming a starting five, a lot of players will see substantial playing time this season. USF had three players score in the double figures off the bench Saturday.

“Any number of those guards could possibly start. I mean, that’s just how much depth we have,” he said.

Givands said starting alongside so many experienced players will help her develop her game.

“It helps a lot to be on the floor with people who know how to play the game,” she said. “When I make a mistake or whatever, it’s good to play with people who are older and can give me help.”