The Oracle assesses the issues: Our pick for the presidency

The Oracle’s editorial board ran a series of editorials leading up to the election tackling subjects the board deemed important. Barack Obama won two out of three issues, securing the Oracle’s endorsement for the presidency. This is the final editorial.

Though the board addressed three main subjects to determine its endorsement for the presidency, here are several other issues it considered.

Abortion
Obama is the best pick for president on this issue specifically because his opponent John McCain has been very vocal about overturning Roe v. Wade, calling it a “flawed decision.”

Though the chances of Roe v. Wade being overturned in the next four years aren’t strong, the fact of the matter is that getting an abortion should ultimately be the woman’s decision — as Obama believes — not that of some politician trying to force his beliefs on others.

Education
While neither candidate’s platform thoroughly addresses the needs of college students, McCain’s plans for higher education are merely rehashings of Bush’s tired policies. Simplifying the language of tax benefits and financial aid is not a reform. It should go without saying.

Obama plans to allocate $4,000 to students who perform 100 hours of community service, which would come in the form of a tax credit. Though Obama’s plan may seem a little far-fetched, it’s a step in the right direction.

Social Security
The country has been hearing for quite some time that its social security funds are depleting to the point — current statistics say 2041 — where we just won’t have them anymore.

Obama said he plans to eliminate income taxes for seniors who make less than $50,000 a year. This will help those on a fixed income who have to pay for taxes on top of prescriptions, medical bills and a mortgage.

McCain, on the other hand, hasn’t offered any concrete plan to change the system beyond saying that it needs reform. He supported President George W. Bush’s 2005 plan to allow employees to divert some payroll taxes to their own investment accounts, which failed to win the support of the American public.

Rather than preserve ineffectual programs, it’s time to try something new.

Conclusion
If there is one thing that stands out in Obama’s campaign speeches it’s his favorite buzzword — “change.” And it’s not without merit. This country needs a change. Most of McCain’s policies are more of the same or simply not enough of a change. McCain is too busy trying to satisfy conservatives who want to maintain the status quo.

Obama has said he understands the need for change and that’s why he has proposed a number of new ideas for his administration. Based on the board’s research, Obama is the best pick for the presidency of the United States.