USF leaves Chicago with loss

No. 13 USF 0, DePaul 1

The South Florida men’s soccer team suffered its first defeat in a month, losing 1-0 to DePaul. The loss snapped its six-game streak.

It is the Bulls’ second loss of the season since falling to Notre Dame on Sept. 7. Tuesday’s loss also marks the third fall in school history to DePaul.

“I felt like we were a little bit on the unlucky side today,” coach George Kiefer said. “Give DePaul some credit. They’re a very difficult team to play at their place.”

USF had a good look at the 28th minute of the first half when senior forward Jordan Seabrook got a step on the goalkeeper and fired a shot, but a DePaul defender dropped back and saved a goal.

“He did a good job of getting back,” Seabrook said. “He had it well covered.”

After a scoreless first half, the Blue Demons finally broke through against the Bulls as junior forward Steffen Vroom beat sophomore goalkeeper Jeff Attinella in the 69th minute for his third goal of the season.

That goal marked the first time a team has scored against USF since Sept. 19, when the Bulls played Georgetown.

Each team managed just two shots on goal the entire game. Kiefer said he knew it was going to be a battle.

“It’s a different type of game up here,” Kiefer said. “The field is narrow. You know you’re not going to get a lot of chances. We just have to get a little better at finishing and we’ll be all right.”

The Bulls had another chance late in the game, but Seabrook’s bid to put the game into overtime hit the post and junior Jorge Mora’s rebound attempt sailed high.

“Andre (Mittoo) got around his man and played a perfect ball to the near post,” Seabrook said. “I timed it well and just got unlucky — a little to the left and the game’s 1-1. That’s part of the game sometimes.”

Despite the loss, the Bulls remain in first place of the Big East Conference’s Red Division at 4-1-1 in conference play.

The Bulls will look to put this defeat behind them and focus on the challenge that awaits them Friday when they return home to face Louisville, with first place in the Red Division possibly on the line.

Friday’s game has been chosen as Fox Soccer’s Game of the Week and will be nationally televised.

The Cardinals are coming off a week in which they had consecutive wins over St. Johns’ and Notre Dame, two Top 10 opponents.