Big East streak ends at seven

It was a weekend of firsts for the USF softball team in a two-day doubleheader against Rutgers and Villanova University. Trying to stay undefeated in the Big East, the Bulls lost their first conference game against Villanova 2-1.

Coming off of a 4-0 start to conference play, the Bulls (32-13) went on the road for the first time against conference rivals.

The Bulls outscored Rutgers and Villanova 23-8 in the first three games of the weekend, including a come-from-behind victory in game one against Villanova on Sunday.

Down 5-3 in the seventh inning, senior pitcher Courtney Mosch hit a triple for the first time this season, scoring sophomore third baseman Allison Saverese and sophomore first baseman JoJo Medina to tie the game.

Sophomore pitcher Kristen Gordon recorded her first save of the season against Villanova, shutting the Wildcats out in the last two innings of the game.

The Bulls scored four more runs to defeat the Wildcats 9-5.

Despite a six-run rally in the first game, the Bulls were unable to come from behind a second time against Villanova.

With a 2-1 score and the bases loaded in the seventh inning, Wildcats senior pitcher Nicci Ward struck out Savarese and Mosch to end the game.

Freshman pitcher Capri Catalano remains undefeated on the mound at 9-0 against Rutgers in her home state of New Jersey. Catalano struck out eight batters, shutting out the Scarlet Knights in five innings.

The Bulls will continue conference play when they return to the USF softball complex in two home conference doubleheaders against the University of Pittsburg and the University of Syracuse.