The Bulls play against USA

Fordham 0, USF 7

Spring break brought more than just time away from class for the South Florida softball team – it brought a rare opportunity and nine victories for the Bulls.

USF had a chance to play the U.S. National team, and improved to 20-10 on the season, with two losses during the break’s final two days.

The Bulls began the break by playing in the USF Under Armour Invitational in Clearwater. USF had five close games, but won the tournament on the strength of its bats.

The Bulls scored at least four runs in the first two games of the tournament. One of the more memorable moments of the season, however, came in a game that won’t count in the record books.

USF had the opportunity to play the U.S. National Team in an exhibition on March 8, and the opportunity was a memorable one for the players – even though the Bulls lost 18-0.

“Team USA is the best team in the world, hands down,” USF assistant coach Amber Wright said. “Our team played really well, despite the score. More importantly, everybody had the chance to play. I think it was a great experience for the team and a great opportunity for the University.”

After the Bulls’ game against Team USA, they got right back to work, playing eight games in six days.

USF increased its winning streak to 11 games before losing 4-1 to Oklahoma State on Saturday. USF suffered a 2-1 loss to No. 10 Louisiana State on Sunday before defeating Fordham in the second game of its double-header.

USF was leading 1-0 on the strength of a solo home run hit by junior first baseman JoJo Medina. It was her third home run of the season.

Senior pitcher Courtney Mosch pitched four scoreless innings, but a fielding error allowed Tigers freshman third baseman Jessica Mouse to get on base. She was replaced by pinch runner Tiffany Shaw, who scored two batters later. The Bulls went on to lose 2-1 in eight innings.

“We had that LSU game in our hands, and we let it slip away,” Wright said. “We played great, but not flawlessly. If we had played flawlessly, we would have won that game.”

USF bounced back during game two of Sunday’s double-header, in which freshman pitcher Capri Catalano had seven strikeouts and allowed three hits. She is 5-0 on the season.

Catalano is part of a Bulls pitching staff that allowed just 1.8 runs per game over the Bulls’ 13 games during spring break.

“I think our staff rivals any pitching staff in the country,” Wright said. “We don’t have a true ace, but four pitchers who can go out and win, close and save games for us. They’re a very good and very confident staff.”