Bulls pitch no-hitter, beat Yellow Jackets

On paper, the Louisville Slugger Tournament seemed like it would provide good opportunities for the Bulls to rebound from three early-season losses.

However, after a win Friday, the Bulls dropped two straight games before defeating Georgia Tech in the final game of the tournament.

Pitchers Cristi Ecks, Capri Catalano, and Courtney Mosch recorded a 10-inning no-hitter against the Pride on Friday.

In the 10th inning of the game, Mosch scored on a fly ball from Aya Nakajima giving the Bulls a 1-0 win in dramatic fashion.

On Sunday, a team hitting effort from the Bulls helped put the only run of the game on the scoreboard for USF. Mosch hit a double to center field off of a pitch from Georgia Tech’s Whitney Humphreys. Senior Kit Dunbar advanced Mosch to third base on a sacrifice bunt, and sophomore Allison Savarese brought Mosch home on a double, giving the Bulls a 1-0 lead.

The Bulls’ impressive pitching and defense was more than the Yellow Jackets could handle. Mosch opened the game for the Bulls, and Catalano relieved her for the final two innings. Together, Mosch and Catalano allowed just two hits and one walk to keep the Yellow Jackets scoreless. Catalano’s save against Georgia Tech was the first of her career.

Third baseman Savarese made a pivotal double play in the fourth inning, keeping Georgia Tech’s hitters from advancing and possibly giving the Yellow Jackets enough runs to win the game.

The Bulls’ two losses of the tournament came at the hands of the Wright State Raiders and the Wisconsin Badgers.

On Friday, although Savarese singled to left field, scoring Tara Toscano, pitchers Kristen Gordon and Mosch could not keep a winless Wright State team from scoring their only two runs of the game in the second inning.

Catalano gave up a home run in the third inning Saturday to Wisconsin’s Ashley Hanewich, giving the Badgers a 1-0 lead.

It wasn’t until the sixth inning that plays started to happen for the Bulls.

Wisconsin pitcher Letty Olivares gave up two walks before being replaced by Kristyn Hansen. Hansen gave up a double to catcher Cat Olnick that scored pinch runner Lauren Rodriguez to tie the game.

More opportunities developed for the Bulls as they loaded the bases twice but two consecutive force outs by the Badgers kept the Bulls from scoring.

Wisconsin’s Joey Daniels scored the game-winning run on an error made by Savarese, who attempted to throw a hitter out at first base.

Coach Ken Eriksen was not pleased with the Bulls’ inability to score runs with players in scoring position.

“We’re not playing very good softball,” Eriksen said.

“Much of the team is battling through adversity right now,” assistant coach Amber Wright said. “But I think they’re on their way up.”

The softball team will travel to Tucson next weekend for their first game against the University of Arizona.

“(The team) is on the upswing and I expect to see some wins coming in Tucson,” Wright said.