USF women’s basketball team looks to move ahead in Big East

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL GAME TIMEMarquette (10-8, 2-3) at USF (11-7, 1-4)When: Sat., 2 p.m.Where: Sun DomeTV/Radio: 1010 A.M., Catch 47

Tomorrow, the South Florida women’s basketball team (11-7, 1-4) will play host to Marquette (10-8, 2-3) at the Sun Dome. A win would put the Bulls ahead of the Eagles in the Big East Conference.

USF is coming off a road victory against Seton Hall – a team that had been undefeated at home – that snapped a five-game losing streak. Marquette didn’t fare as well its last time on the court, suffering a 79-69 loss to Louisville on the road.

Notable performances by the Bulls’ starting guards, juniors Shantia Grace and Jazmine Sepulveda, enabled the Bulls to defeat a seemingly superior foe. Grace had 27 points and Sepulveda added 16.

Tomorrow, however, the two teams are evenly matched when comparing statistics.

Both teams are allowing opponents to score approximately 64 points per game. South Florida is scoring nearly 70 points per game while Marquette is averaging 69.

One interesting statistic to note is that USF is 8-5 at home, while Marquette is 2-5 on the road.

With the possibility of a victory against the Eagles, the Bulls stand to gain more than just a one-spot improvement in the Big East.

This weekend creates an interesting scenario for the Big East Conference.

If events pan out in the Bulls’ favor, they stand a chance to move up three spots in the conference.

Currently, USF is tied with Georgetown and Providence for 12th place in the 16-team conference. All three teams have the same overall record.

Providence gets a home game against Seton Hall (12-5, 2-3). This match up automatically moves the Bulls up a spot pending a USF victory.

If Providence wins, then USF goes ahead of Seton Hall. Even though the Pirates and the Bulls would be tied, the Bulls’ victory last Saturday gives them the tiebreaker. If Seton Hall wins, USF will move ahead of Providence.

Georgetown has to travel to Morgantown to face No. 12 West Virginia (15-3, 4-1).

If Georgetown loses – a very real possibility – the Bulls will pass them in the rankings. The Hoyas are 4-5 on the road and the Mountaineers are 6-1 at home.

The Bulls are trying to make their third consecutive Big East tournament.