MEN’S SOCCER GAME TIME

USF (7-2-1) at FAU (4-6)When: Tonight, 7Where: FAU FieldTV/Radio: N/A

After a tough loss to Louisville last weekend, the men’s soccer team travels to Florida Atlantic University to play the final installment of a four-match road stint.

In the three previous matches – all of them against conference opponents – the Bulls have a 1-1-1 record. Finishing this portion of their schedule is something that coach George Kiefer and his team will be pleased about.

“It’s not easy to go on the road, but it’s something you have to do,” coach George Kiefer. “It’s something you have to get good at, and I think we’re doing good at 4-1-1.”

FAU comes into Tuesday’s match with a record of 4-6 overall and is second in the Atlantic Soccer Conference. The team has struggled to finish its scoring chances this season, scoring 12 goals on 114 shots. Coming off a 3-0 loss to Florida Gulf Coast University, the Owls host USF at a time when they’re struggling to stay near the top of their conference.

For the Bulls, the match Tuesday is an important opportunity to close out this portion of the schedule with a win. Coming away from road matches with points is an important piece of the championship puzzle for any college soccer team, and the Owls are a team that USF should beat.

“This game will be a real good test for us,” Kiefer said. “How the guys respond after the loss to Louisville is a good way to gauge the team’s character.”

USF will have to be wary of an FAU attack that creates a lot of opportunities, whether they finish many of them or not. Junior forward Shire Standnes leads the Owls in goals with three.

The Bulls will look to get back to their usual style of play, dominating the ball and keeping it in FAU’s half of the field.

With an overall record of 7-2-1, the Bulls are tied with Villanova for the best winning percentage in the Big East’s Red Division. Their conference record, however, at 2-2-1, has the Bulls sitting at fifth in the division standings.

“Every game has its challenges,” Kiefer said. “I don’t put more importance on one game than the next. We’ve played 10 games this season and we’re 7-2-1, so I’m comfortable with where we are. We got four out of our last six at home, so I think we’re in a good position.”