USF students indicted

A federal grand jury in Tampa has indicted two USF students for transporting explosive devices in South Carolina.

The indictment released Friday comes after grand jury deliberations that followed the arrests of Yousef Megahed, 21, and Ahmed Mohamed, 24, in South Carolina on charges of carrying explosive devices in their car.

Mohamed was also indicted for teaching and demonstrating the making and use of an explosive device and distributing information about the manufacture of a destructive device.

The indictment states Mohammed intended the information and demonstrations be used for a federal crime of violence.

Mohamed and Megahed spend 10 years in prison if convicted for transporting explosive devices.

Mohamed faces 20 additional years in prison if convicted for demonstrating the making and use of an explosive device.

The two students were arrested on Aug. 4 in Goose Creek, SC and charged with carrying pipe bombs in their car after a deputy pulled them over for speeding.

During a search of their car, the deputy found what he believed to be several pipe bombs, according to an arrest affidavit.

Two bomb technicians from assisting agencies confirmed the explosives in the car were pipe bombs, according to the affidavit.

Some of the materials in the car were later detonated by the technicians.

Two weeks ago, the university provisionally suspended Mohamed and Megahed, said USF spokesman Ken Gullette at a press conference Friday.

The suspension gives the two six months to appeal their suspensions to university officials.