Vegas comes to the Ball

A little piece of Vegas was brought to the Upper gym of the Campus Recreation Center Wednesday night as the coronation of the 2006 Homecoming king and queen was celebrated.

The annual Homecoming Ball invited students to play Vegas-style games such as craps, blackjack and roulette for free, custom playing cards with the Superbull X logo were also given out.

In addition to a live jazz band on the terrace, the Ball hosted a DJ inside, two chocolate fountains with desserts as well as many other hors d’oeuvres.

The doors opened at 8 with the original coronation time set for 9 p.m. But according to Student Government senate President Barclay Harless, and Homecoming Committee members, the time was pushed back per the request of USF President Judy Genshaft.

Genshaft reportedly put in her request early Wednesday afternoon, stating that she had a dinner function to attend earlier in the evening and still planned to make it to the Ball. Although the Homecoming Committee approved her request and rescheduled the coronation ceremony, Genshaft did not attend.

“It’s pretty sorry for the administration,” Harless said. “They let the Homecoming Committee down and the students down.”

At 9:30 p.m. the committee chose to proceed with the ceremony and began by introducing the Homecoming committee, the royalty from the three other USF campuses and finally the Tampa campus court.

The audience burst into cheers as Maxon Victor was named Homecoming king and Andi Murray queen.

“The campaign was simple: ‘King me’ was all I asked – it was a wonderful night,” Victor said.

Both Victor and Murray thanked everyone for their support and admitted they couldn’t have done it without their respective fraternity and sorority.

“I want to thank everyone,” Murray said. “I had my sorority out there campaigning for me, and I’m just really proud to represent USF.”

Although Genshaft never made it, Vice President of Student Affairs Jennifer Meningall attended and was noted as a guest of honor by Homecoming Ball Director Kelly Raia.

“This is my second (Homecoming Ball),” Meningall said. “I’m really pleased with the turnout, of course we always wish there could be more but it’s very nice to see people dress up and have a good time.”