‘Time to Stand’ to give students reason to sit

The University Lecture Series’ fall schedule kicks off at 7 tonight in the Phyllis P. Marshall Center ballroom with speaker, author and psychotherapist Sean Stephenson.

He will present a speech titled “Time to Stand.”

Stephenson is a motivational speaker whose speeches focus on his disabilities and the obstacles he has overcome in order to achieve success. In spite of a rare bone disorder that limits his physical abilities, Stephenson has persevered by becoming an effective speaker as well as a productive and successful individual.

He has given speeches to students and youth in 47 states and five countries over the last decade. Aside from speaking at colleges and universities, Stephenson has worked with the Federal Aviation Commission, the U.S. Senate and Fortune 500 companies. He was trained in project management and conflict resolution while working for the U.S. House of Representatives and the Office of Cabinet Affairs as a direct liaison to the president.

Stephenson has also appeared on the Oprah Winfrey Show, the Discovery Health Channel, CNN News and CBS News.

“ULS has been running for over 20 years,” said Brian Schulte, director of public relations at the Marshall Center. “We will have six speakers scheduled during the fall semester – with Sean being the first – and are currently booking more for the spring.”

The ULS has attracted a variety of well-known names in the past, including filmmaker Oliver Stone, Rev. Al Sharpton and Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Archbishop Desmond Tutu.

The ULS is funded by activity and service fees and is co-sponsored by Student Government. All lectures held by the ULS are free to USF students and open to the general public.