Men’s basketball

MEN’S BASKETBALL

USF (2-1), Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (3-1), Georgia Southern (4-2), Missouri State (2-0)

What: The Price Cutter Classic

When: Friday, Saturday

Where: Hammons Student Center, Springfield, Mo.

The story: The USF men’s basketball team looks to rebound from Tuesday’s loss to Florida International University when it faces Texas A&M-Corpus Christi tonight at the Price Cutter Classic in Springfield, Mo.

The Islanders (3-1) are fresh off a 77-59 win over in-state foe Texas-San Antonio in which they forced 27 turnovers and had 16 steals.Along with Texas A&M-Corpus Christi’s defense, the Bulls have to overcome their own issues in the backcourt.

The Bulls are working without guards David Sills and Chris Howard, who was lost in the beginning of the season to injury. Despite those losses, USF is third in scoring in the Big East – averaging 80 points a contest – and the Bulls also have the top scorer in the conference with James Holmes, who averages 23 points per game.

Depending on the game’s outcome, the Bulls will either face Georgia Southern (4-2) or Missouri State on Saturday. This is the first meeting between the Bulls and the Islanders.

Keep an eye on: Chris Capko. The junior transfer from the University of Florida has stepped up with the loss of Sills and Howard. In the Bulls’ double-overtime loss to FIU, Capko fell one assist short of a double-double with 10 points and nine assists in 49 minutes of action.

“That was clearly his best game; he grew up a lot that night,” coach Robert McCullum said. “His confidence is growing each and every game.”

Through three games, Capko is second in the nation with nine assists per game.