A Mötley band reunites

Rarely, if ever, does a band live up to its name. But for more than two decades, Mötley Crüe has done just that.

All four original members of Mötley Crüe reunited this year for the release of Red, White and Crüe, a collection of Crüe classics, as well as three new tracks.

Along with the new CD, Mötley Crüe has launched another tour, which should be as in-your-face as anything the band did in the 1980s.

Vince Neil, Mick Mars, Tommy Lee and Nikki Sixx bring the Carnival of Sins tour to Orlando’s TD Waterhouse Arena on Sept. 13 at 8:00 p.m.

The original bad boys of rock ‘n’ roll, Mötley Crüe has consumed more alcohol, been in more fights, risen from the dead (literally) and served more jail time than any other band from the famed 1980s hair genre.

Sometimes better known for antics than music, Mötley Crüe forced the music industry to take notice in 1981 when it released its first album, Too Fast for Love, on its own label, Leathur Records.

The band became too big to ignore and Electra Records stepped in and signed the band, re-releasing Too Fast for Love sans two of the original tracks.

Mötley Crüe experienced tremendous success during the rest of the decade with their albums Shout at the Devil, Theater of Pain, Girls, Girls, Girls and Dr. Feelgood.

With each album Mötley Crüe released, a tour followed and it was always bigger, badder and louder than the year before. Crüe fans were seldom let down. Shows were dramatic, with huge explosions and scantily clad dancers being commonplace.

It was during the Theater of Pain tour when drummer Tommy Lee first began his theatrical and famous drum solos.

Lee’s drum kit was raised 30 feet above the stage. Then he was turned on his side, to the right and then to the left. Eventually, Lee and his entire drum kit was spun 360 degrees. During 1989’s Dr. Feelgood tour, Lee was suspended over the crowd for his solo. His solos have become legendary and are used as a measure, as well as inspiration, for drum solos today.

In the 1990s, Mötley Crüe experienced the strain of superstardom and the band went through major changes.

The first change came in 1992 when original lead singer Vince Neil left the band and was replaced by John Corabi. Mötley Crüe with Corabi only released one CD, 1994’s Mötley Crüe, before Neil was welcomed back to the band. After releasing Generation Swine, Lee left the band to pursue his own interests.

As though that was not enough to keep the average person busy, the members of Mötley Crüe found themselves in the spotlight of America and the world on numerous occasions.

Lee first made headlines in the mid-1980s when he married and was eventually divorced from actress Heather Locklear.

Lee later married Pamela Anderson and the adult video world has never been the same.

Mötley Crüe founder and bassist Nikki Sixx once overdosed on heroin, clinically died and was revived, only to spend the rest of the night looking for another fix. Since his scare, Sixx successfully went through rehab.

Mötley Crüe has released 14 albums, multiple music videos (not including the Lee/Anderson release) and a two-volume compilation titled Music to Crash Your Car To in its 20-plus years. Collectively, the band wrote the best-selling memoir The Dirt.