Smith picked to run offense

After four years of guiding USF’s quarterbacks, pass-game coordinator Rod Smith was promoted to offensive coordinator on Tuesday, filling a vacancy left by Mike Hobbie, who resigned in April.

“Rod has done a great job for us for four years as our pass-game coordinator,” USF coach Jim Leavitt said in a press release. “We really wanted to keep a sense of continuity, and Rod gives us that.”

Prior to joining the Bulls before the 2001 season, Smith, 32, spent a year at Clemson as a graduate assistant and two seasons as quarterbacks coach at Urbana (W.V.) College.

An All-American quarterback at Div. II Glenville State, Smith helped implement a spread offense that ranked 22nd in 2001 and 32nd in 2002.

But since the departure of quarterback Marquel Blackwell after the 2002 season, the passing numbers have dropped. In 2003 and 2004, USF finished 93rd and 105th, respectively, in passing offense.

Leavitt also announced Greg Gregory, a former offensive coordinator at Ohio and Army, has been named as an offensive assistant. It is unclear whether Gregory will replace Smith as the quarterbacks coach.

“Greg brings a lot of experience with him and we’re pleased to be able to add him to our staff,” Leavitt said in a press release.

Smith, Gregory and Leavitt could not be reached for further comment.