Choosing a candidate

MAXON VICTOR

What would be your first goal as president?

“My first goal is to just get my cabinet set up. Get a great core of students that exemplify leadership and not just delegate, but outline everything we have to do to be an effective executive branch.”

What makes you the best candidate?

“I welcome diversity and that my objectives focus on promoting USF as a quality university with quality students.”

Why did you choose your running mate?

“Sameer (Ahmed’s) mind and attitude reflects that he is about things being outlined, and he understands the technicality of things.”

Who is your biggest political influence?

“It has to be Martin Luther King. I know it is a very typical answer, but the thing was, he dealt with politics, but he wasn’t a politician; he was a leader. But one thing he understood was that you did not have to be a politician to be in politics, and it is not about who is pulling your weight and who’s in your favor; it’s about standing for the right things.”

Why are you running for president?

“I am running because my peers want me to run. My peers have asked me to fill this role and this position.

What is the biggest issue that USF students face?

“Awareness. At this university there are more commuter students than there are resident students and are so unaware of what is going on on campus, that is relevant to every student on campus.”

How will you address that issue?

“I plan on tapping into all the resources. It is wonderful that we have a marketing department that is here, and I still want them to market SG. But market the issues, market the concerns.”

What kind of image would you like Student Government to have?

“I like the image of integrity, of enthusiasm and of concern. I want to show through our actions, through our efforts and through our activities that we are concerned about USF.”

Do you have plans to improve the quality of life on campus?

“That is definitely something we want to be proactive about because the cost of student housing has increased, we feel that the quality should naturally increase.”

On a scale of one to 10, how important is moving away from a commuter image at USF?

“A 10, because we have to move away from this image so the students have to feel as if they are a part of this university. And if (they) feel like they are a part of this university, they will be more active, and not just with school spirit but with the issues and problems concerning USF.”

Do you think the point assessments and appeals will change voter opinion?

“I am certain it will; it’s natural. Some folks are going to feel like I am being assessed points because I am not doing the right thing. Other folks may feel that I am being assessed points because there is some animosity towards me.”

What would you do to set yourself apart from past presidents?

“I think what already sets me apart from past presidents is just the fact that the students feel like I am a part of them. I am not going to try to be someone I’m not. I’m just Maxon. I do not have to be extra or out of the ordinary.”

What will you do to bolster student representation?

“I want to represent the most common, down-to-earth student. I want to be a reflection of that commuter student. That resident student. That student that just goes about his day. I want to represent every student in the sense that I have to be just like them. I can’t forget where I come from. I am a part of them and they are a part of me every time I step into that Board of Trustees meeting.”

With a fund in place, will you further pursue the idea of an on-campus stadium?

“If anything, I want to work to ensure that this project is funded well. I want to tap into our resources to fund this. I would love for this to happen. I just want to make sure that this does not hurt the pockets of the students.”

Establishing tradition at USF has always been an issue in SG. How will you approach it?

“I am just going to be very active in promoting traditions, rejuvenating those that have been out of commission and create new ones.”

How will you help fight for Bright Futures?

“Bright Futures is something that we are constantly fighting for. It was said in one of the debates, we are not looking to reinvent the wheel. But we are looking to put rims on it, because we want to be more effective. We want to be more vocal. We want to try different things.”

In one sentence, describe your platform.

“The peoples campaign is about students giving back to students.”

Give me one word to sway voters to your side.

“Growth.”

ANDREW AUBERY

“Getting Jessica (Asuncion) situated and appointing a cabinet.”

What makes you the best candidate?

“The experience — I have been in Student Government for a while now. I have been in the legislative branch and I understand that branch. I have also had the pleasure and opportunity of serving as student body vice president.

Why did you choose your running mate?

“She understands the needs of the resident students and I understand the needs of the commuter students. The other reason I chose her is because of the big picture. I see the end goal and Jessica is really detailed. She does not allow me to jump ahead or go from point A to point C without making sure that point B is all completed.”

“(Ken) Pruitt, because of Bright Futures. Pruitt has done an enormous amount for the students here in the state of Florida.”

Why are you running for president?

“Ever since day one, since I have stepped on to campus, I have felt as though USF a diamond in the rough. It was like the time bomb I uncovered, and I really want to be the one sitting there and pushing the button and seeing the positive change here at USF.”

“The biggest issue that USF students face right now is that they do not have a place to go and study.”

How will you address that issue?

“I have been (going after this issue) as vice president — we have talked with the Library, and they are currently giving us a proposal on how much it would cost to increase the Library hours, and our next step is going to the provost.”

“A positive image. An image that says to the student, ‘We are here for you’.’

“As far as improving the quality of life on campus, we need to give more money to the Campus Activities Board to bring more concerts on campus. We also need to have more events for students, not only campus life, but so that the students who live around campus can come and hang out and have a good time. And apparently the quality of food has been complained about, and we can look into that.”

On a scale of one to 10 how important is moving away from a commuter image at USF?

“I think it is about a seven. I would like for the faculty and the staff and even the students to not consider us a commuter school. I mean every school has commuter students, but not considered a commuter school.”

“I really have no comment on that. I have not been focusing anything on the appeals and what has been going on. What I have been focusing on is my campaign.”

“The one thing I would probably work on is the public relations with the few organizations on campus, really trying to be out there, getting students to know who I am and really be part of this university.”

“I want to create a random polling system that e-mails students and asks for their feedback on any university issues.”

“I am definitely going to take a very proactive stance on that and continue to tell students to support it.”

“One of the things on my platform that I would like to highlight is the cement bulls. I think that if student organizations can sponsor these bulls and put their colors, their seals and their letters on it, it is really going to start a tradition.”

“If it weren’t for bright futures, I would not have been here at USF. The first thing I would do is start making meetings with legislators like we did this year. I sat down with almost every single Hillsborough and Pinellas county legislator and talked to them about issues like this.”

“A step (on the way) to making USF a nationally recognized university.”

Give me one word to sway voters to your side. “Experience.”