New and Noteworthy for the week ahead

Jucifer
(Nov. 19/ Orpheum/Tickets range from $7-$8)

Amber Valentine and Edgar Livengood didn’t intend on being a two-piece band when they formed Jucifer in the mid-’90s, it just happened that way; none of the would-be drummers and bassists worked out. As we’ve learned with latter-day male-female duos, such as the White Stripes, Jucifer creates an often effeminate yet brutal, striped-down sound featuring angelic vocals and heavy guitars.

American Folk
(Nov. 19/ USF/ Suggested donation: $7)

American Folk is an off-beat documentary concerning out-of-the-ordinary episodes taking place in the American folk scene. Some of the characters featured are Roy Book Binder, Richie Havens, Pinetop Perkins, Billy Bragg, Elijah Wald, Spider John Koerner and Charlie Jirousek. Following the film’s screening will be a live performance by Spider John Koerner, whose sound is similar to ragtime-blues. This performance should be a treat for those weary of acoustic guitar-toting cover-song heroes.

Surrealism and Modernism from the Collection of the Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art
(runs through Jan. / John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art/ free to public)

This event features the works of the 20th century that made anything possible in the art world. Movements such as Cubism and Dadaism were a direct response to a world where the Industrial Revolution and world wars were still a recent phenomenon. Works such as Kirchner’s “Suburb of Berlin” (1912) and Picasso’s “The Painter” (1934) are examples shown in the event concerning these innovative approaches.