Volleyball team loses ground

The USF volleyball team headed into Texas this weekend with hopes of gaining ground on its Conference USA opponents.

Instead, the Bulls lost ground after losing two conference games to TCU and Houston.

Friday, USF lost its match against TCU 30-14, 30-18 and 30-24.

The Bulls (6-15, 3-6 C-USA) entered the match confident after keeping up the pace with FAMU last weekend.

Against the Horned Frogs, the Bulls fell to a hot offensive team that racked up 60 kills over three games.

TCU hit a staggering .462 percentage against the Bulls. USF couldn’t deflect the Horned Frogs offensive attack. No USF player had double-digit digs versus TCU.

Next, the Bulls traveled to Houston Saturday to face a Cougar team that has also had a down year.

The Bulls played more competitively than the previous night but lost 3-0. The key to the game was the Cougars’ defense as Houston had 15 more digs than USF.

The Bulls’ only bright spots in the two losses came from junior Flavia Silveira and freshman Kristina Fabris.

Silveira, who is 3rd in C-USA with 4.40 kills a game, led USF offensively by racking up 32 over the weekend.

Fabris totaled 17 kills over the weekend but had her best performance against Houston with 11 kills.

Over the past few games, the Bulls have led in blocks due to strong play at the net.

With the two road losses, USF never led in that category. TCU had 3.5 more blocks than USF.

Against Houston, the Cougars matched the Bulls block-for-block with each team blocking seven shots.

With the two losses, the Bulls will not have a winning season in Conference USA.

The conference season is winding down for USF, with the last four conference tilts taking place over the next two weeks.