USF, faculty union come to terms on new contract

USF and the university’s faculty union finally signed a new collective bargaining agreement last week after more than a year of negotiations.

President Judy Genshaft said in a press release the contract was important to reward high-performing faculty and maintaining an environment conducive to productive research and teaching.

The contract guarantees at least a two percent raise for all faculty earning satisfactory reviews. Another conflict during negotiations, summer compensation, was resolved when both sides agreed to keep in place the existing formula, which provides for compensation for summer teaching at the same rate of compensation during the regular academic year.

“The union is pleased that the contract guarantees academic freedom, retains summer compensation and restores the legal enforceability of our rights,” union president Roy Weatherford said. “These issues are important in maintaining the kind of environment essential to a good university.”

Other terms of the contract include: a $1,000 bonus, which USF will distribute to eligible employees — those continuously appointed from July 1 through Dec. 1 this year and whose most recent performance evaluation is at least satisfactory — in a one-time lump sum, less taxes, as appropriated by the 2004 Legislature; sexual orientation is included for the first time in the nondiscrimination provision of the contract; a revised grievance process, which provides for an information resolution period.