Letters to the Editor

‘Stereotyping’ simple case of misunderstanding
RE: Letter “Stereotyping by student body President Chhadva,” Oct. 13

I would like to thank Lindsey Herrup for her letter to the editor. I appreciate it when people give me feedback on my performance and tell me what I need to improve on in order to be a better and more effective leader. Constructive feedback helps me become a better student body president and a better person. I was elected by the students and I am here to serve you.

If anyone genuinely believes that I “hate” the Leadership House and that I “hate” it because someone from the Leadership House ran against me, please communicate with me directly. I get along with several current and former members of the Leadership House. E-mail me at president@sg.usf.edu or call me at (813) 974-2328.

If there are any other students, student organizations or student communities who have any issues, concerns or constructive criticisms for me, please let me know directly first. That way I have a chance to work with you to resolve issues.

It is my opinion that writing a Letter to the Editor should be a last resort after an attempt has been made to work it out amongst ourselves.

I would like to invite Herrup to schedule a meeting with me to resolve any misunderstandings or miscommunications.

Bijal Chhadva is the student body president.

Bush made clear draft a non-issue, not likely

I want to respond to John Duddy’s false statements in Friday’s Oracle regarding the draft.

President Bush has consistently said he will not reinstate the draft. For Duddy, president of USF’s College Democrats, to say that Bush will reinstate the draft shows how desperate Democrats are becoming. They can tell that they are losing on this campus based on the president’s win in the USF Straw Poll.

It’s really sad that the College Democrats would turn to scare tactics to sway USF students to vote for Kerry.

Matt Strenth is a sophomore majoring in political science and is chairman of the USF College Republicans.

Movie, review attacks Christianity needlessly

I am writing in response to the review of Saved!. Saldana says it’s “somewhat intelligent and funny.” In reality, it’s nothing but cheap shots. Saldana’s headline even states it consists of cheap shots at Christianity. Perhaps more amazing is that he also claims in his headline that the movie had a right to insult Christianity. I wonder what Saldana’s criteria is to say it is right to insult someone’s beliefs?

I understand Christians are not perfect, failing to live up to their faith. But who is? Also, it’s fine to have fun, but in good taste. Mel Brooks did when joking about Jews as well as My Big Fat Greek Wedding with the Greek Orthodox.

However, none of Saved! was done in good taste. I wonder if this movie had targeted homosexuals or Muslims Saldana would feel similarly. Overall, its’ lousy ratings serve to show what it really is: a horrible movie done in bad taste.

Christine Cosenza is a freshman majoring in microbiology

Prejudice toward young Republicans deplorable

I am a very proud Republican and I find it funny how someone who obviously doesn’t know any college Republicans can say that they just get their opinions from rich mommies and daddies and that they don’t have brains of their own to figure out issues. My mother, who has never voted in her life and couldn’t care less about politics, raised me. I have lived in a trailer in Dover with no air conditioning or heat, and my mother has worked up to three different jobs at the same time to support my younger sister and me so she wouldn’t have to collect welfare.

I now work two jobs to pay my bills and I was blessed to receive a scholarship for USF because I worked my butt off in school (so no loans). I am a Republican because I believe that the party represents people who work hard for what they want in their lives. I am pro-life, pro-military, pro-family, pro-small government and anti-tax. I am not a warmonger, but I am not a pansy. I am a proud Republican. So don’t stereotype next time.

Brittany C. Williams is a sophomore majoring in political science.