Warrant catches up with linebacker

USF linebacker Devon Davis was arrested Sunday morning with outstanding warrants just hours after a USF football game.

Davis, 20, was pulled over at 1:57 a.m. because he was driving a vehicle with the headlights off. An arrest warrant was issued after he failed to show up for a court appearance for misdemeanor charges of possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia.

The junior was released Monday on $3,000 bail.

In September, Davis told USF coach Jim Leavitt he thought he didn’t have to attend the hearing because he agreed to a pretrial diversionary program.

“I don’t think he would ever intentionally do anything like (missing a court date). He knows better,” Leavitt told the St. Petersburg Times after Davis missed the court date.

Davis was one of three players arrested in July for possession of marijuana. Freshman Curtis Chance pleaded guilty to the charge and received a year of probation. A third player is no longer with the team.

Davis has started two games this season at middle linebacker. He has 13 tackles and a recovered fumble in four games.

USF tennis duo ousted from tourney

USF tennis players Federico Barton and Juan Carlos Gomez were eliminated from the International Tennis Association Men’s All-American Championship at the Champions Club in Chattanooga, Tenn.

Both competed in doubles and singles play.

In doubles play, Barton and Gomez advanced to the round of 32 before losing 8-4 to Greg Maarchalk and Ben Pauluhn of Furman.

In singles play, David Robinson of Purdue eliminated Gomez in the round of 128 6-2, 7-6 (5). Gomez defeated Thiago Barbosa of Winthrop in the previous round.

Barton received a bye in the first round and lost in straight sets to Adam Holstrom of Denver 6-2, 6-3.

Men in ninth with a round to play

The USF men’s golf team is in ninth place at the Memphis Invitational after the first round.

Three Bulls shot first-round scores of 74, leading the Bulls to a team score of 299. USF is 12 strokes behind leader UCF.

The tournament concludes with the final round today. Next up for the Bulls is the Gary Koch/Cleveland Golf Intercollegiate.

Women’s golf team finishes in tie for third

Throughout the USF/Beacon Woods Invitational, USF couldn’t seem to make its way past third place.

Junior Fernanda Rivera tied the course record with a first-round score of 67. She finished the tournament with rounds of 74 and 75.

USF finished nine strokes off of tournament winner East Carolina. Up next for the Bulls is the Lady Paladin Invitational in Greenville, S.C.

Compiled by Thomas Simonetti and Mark Lennox