Bulls prepare for Catamounts

If they don’t already have one, the USF women’s soccer team (1-1-1) should adopt a new motto.

Rain, rain, go away.

Due to the recent rough weather, the young 2004 season has already been tweaked on numerous occasions.

Specifically, two games have been postponed (Georgia State and Florida International) and another rescheduled (Jacksonville). And when they welcome Western Carolina on Thursday, it will have been a more than a week since they last set foot on the pitch.

For sure, normal is one thing this season hasn’t been.

What makes the Bulls more restless is the result they suffered their last time out: a 5-0 loss to rival UCF.

In that game, the Bulls gave up four second-half goals.

Naturally, they are itching for redemption. The chance to scratch that itch comes Thursday at 7 p.m. at the USF Soccer Stadium versus Western Carolina.

Thursday’s match will mark the first meeting between Western Carolina and South Florida. Western Carolina (1-4-0) is coming off a 4-1 loss to Georgia State on Sunday.

The Catamounts will also attempt to break a four-game losing streak when they face USF.

Coach Logan Fleck says he is still tweaking with his lineup to find his top rotation of 14 or 15 players. Versus UCF, he used several substitutes and even replaced the 2003 C-USA Co-Defensive Player of the Year Breck Bankester. Fleck would later comment that the goalie switch was predetermined.

The Bulls are looking forward to four straight home games. After Western Carolina, they face Florida Atlantic on Saturday, welcome Louisville on Sept. 24 and play Cincinnati on Sept. 26. The Louisville game marks the start of conference play for USF.