Double overtime again

Talk about drama queens.

Erica Lewis scored a goal in the 105th minute to help the USF women’s soccer team slide past Jacksonville 2-1 in double overtime Thursday.

It was the Bulls’ second consecutive double overtime match. Last Saturday, they tied Stetson 0-0.

“(Double overtime) is a habit we don’t want to have,” USF coach Logan Fleck said. “We could have put it away and we should have. I am more concerned with the way we played than I am happy with the result.”

After a scoreless first half, Megan Morton scored an unassisted goal in the 75th minute to give USF (1-0-1) the lead and the team’s first score of the young season.

Just under ten minutes later, however, Jacksonville (0-2-1) tied the game when Stephanie Elgie put one past USF keeper Breck Bankester, who had seven saves, including two crucial stops near the end of regulation.

“When they scored and tied it up, nobody put their head down,” said Lewis, a transfer from Florida State. “We focused, we got together and we got the win.”

Lewis’ goal was assisted by Jessica Zabel, who found Lewis in the box after dribbling from a deep midfield position. Lewis then sidestepped a defender and shot it far post for the win.

“How we scored that goal is exactly what I mean when I talk about cohesiveness,” Fleck said. “It was a good play.”

What made it even better for Lewis, was that she was playing near her home town of Orange Park.

“It felt great to come back here to my hometown and play,” Lewis said. “A lot of people I knew were here.”

Fleck said he’s happy to get a win, but still sees plenty of room for improvement.

“We got a little lackadaisical on defense because we had control of the ball for most of the game,” he said. “So when they counter-attacked, we watched instead of getting in position.”

Sunday’s game against Georgia State was postponed in lieu of Hurricane Frances. No make-up date has been announced.