Finding entertainment on campus

Probably unknown to most residents and commuters alike, USF offers a cornucopia of entertainment options for the stressed out or boredom stricken student.

With a few exceptions, USF’s entertaining events are free to all students and this is the best of what campus has to offer in enjoyable stimulation.

CAB: No, it is not something you call when you have had too much to drink, it’s the Campus Activities Board, a student run organization that prepares various activities for USF students to participate in. Movies On The Lawn showcases a recent movie every Wednesday at 9 p.m at Crescent Hill. In addition the movie being played, CAB offers free popcorn and free drinks to enjoy during the showing.

CAB doesn’t just play movies, they also book national entertainers from all facets of the industry including comedians, hypnotists, musicians, magicians and anything thing else they can get they’re hands on.

Every month CAB brings a comedian or magician to campus and once a semester they put on a concert; acts have included Better Than Ezra and Busta Rhymes.

If that is not enough to whet someone’s appetite, CAB also hosts Patio Tuesday’s on the last Tuesday of every month. Patio Tuesday’s included free food and games and the occasional guest musician.

CAB also has a hand in USF’s annual Round-Up.

USF’s Round-Up is a back to classes kick-off party that will be held at the Sun Dome Thursday. This year’s selected performer is Kathy Griffin from Suddenly Susan. Along with Kathy Griffin, there will be guest speakers including USF alumna and former Real World cast member Melissa Howard. Besides the live entertainment, the Round-Up will hold a raffle with prizes that included free rent for a semester, free parking passes and Coca-Cola products.

The Round-Up is not the only entertaining thing held at the Sun Dome, musical acts are already scheduled for fall. The big acts lined up include the B.B. King Music Fest on Oct. 2. and the Pixies on Oct. 8. Coming along with B.B. King will be Dr. John, Shamekia Copeland and Muddy Waters Blues Band. As for the Pixies, this unique troupe of musicians has not been together or on tour since 1992, USF is one stop on their first tour since then.

The music just keeps on coming. Attune to their students interests, USF sponsors several musical programs in several different locations and the basement of the Marshall Center has not escaped the musical barrage. The Games Room in the Marshall center not only has Billiards and Ping Pong, they host the Basement Band Series, a weekly showcase of promising talent. Every Friday the basement will have new acts that cross many genres.

Now that the knowledge is out there, students will no longer be able to use the phrase “I’m bored,” again.

Contact Chris Wagenheimat oraclewags@yahoo.com