Tennis team hungry for UF

The USF men’s tennis team will host unranked Georgia State before they test their mettle against the nation’s No. 3 team, Florida, on Wednesday at the USF Tennis Complex.

“I think they know we’ve got a good team,” USF coach Don Barr said. “I know everyone feels we’re a very dangerous team and once we get them afraid (of us) and (get them to) know they have something to worry about, then I will be happy.”

Georgia State (4-3) has yet to play a ranked team; the No. 37 Bulls will be the first. GSU is coming off of a close win against Hampton University and will play Central Florida before coming to Tampa.

“Hopefully we can go through these next two matches with wins, and I think they will come back looking to finish out the season strong,” Barr said.

The challenge for the Bulls, however, will be the No. 3 Gators (6-2). UF has been ranked no lower than seventh this season, so the Gators will keep USF on its toes.

“We’re there talent-wise, and if we are hungry and really take it to them, I think we can match them, I really do,” Barr said.

Barr said that if his team could pull out a win against UF then it could possibly carry them through the rest of the season.

“It will be a good note if we can finish on a high note,” Barr said. “They are going to go back knowing what they need to do to finish out the season, possibly as an NCAA contender.”

One of the key components to being competitive with high-ranking teams is the doubles point, Barr said. Barr said that he is happy with his team’s progress, but they still have a ways to go.

“Doubles is coming along. It’s not exactly where I want it to be, but I see huge improvements,” Barr said. “I mean, we were right there (last) weekend in doubles.”