Eurotrip boasts undeniable laughs

Don’t forget your passport, as Eurotrip takes you from London to Amsterdam’s red light district to Vatican City. And after this hilarious ride, you’ll never look at Europe the same way again.

The film follows a proven comedy formula: crude humor and situations that are predictable but unbelievable. The plot takes a backseat and the film never escapes from the shallowness about the lengths to which men will go for an exotic treat.

The movie features a cast of fresh faces and reunites the production/writing team responsible for some of the funniest comedies (Old School and Road Trip) in recent years. Eurotrip doesn’t bother straying or pushing the envelope, but what redeems the film is that it’s consistently funny.

Scott (Scott Mechlowicz) gets dumped by Fiona (Kristin Kreuk), his high school sweetheart, who opts for leather-clad and tattooed rock star (cameo by Matt Damon). After spending some time moaning, Scott decides to throw caution to the wind and travels to Europe to meet up with his sexy German pen pal due to an eager push from his pal, Cooper (Jacob Pitts). Cooper is looking forward to kinky European sex — and is given just that and then some at Club Vandersexx, Amsterdam’s most erotic burlesque.

Two twins, Jaime (Travis Wester) and Jenny (Michelle Trachtenberg), are on a backpacking trip through France. After meeting up, the foursome slowly makes their way through Europe in a desperate attempt to make it to Berlin.

Eurotrip plays on common stereotypes but never becomes vicious or spiteful. England has its Manchester United hooligans. Amsterdam has its infamous sex clubs and theatres. France has its excruciating long lines to monuments. And finally, there are Hitler jokes in Germany. The stereotypes in Eurotrip play exactly on what the average Joe thinks.

Trachtenberg makes the transition from being Buffy’s little sister (in TV’s Buffy the Vampire Slayer) to a big screen temptress playing both innocent romantic and sexed up, soon-to-be college girl. Her performance is lacking and is best when left with a small supporting role as eye candy.

Mechlowicz and Pitts work well together as a comedy duo, delivering some of the film’s biggest laughs. Mechlowicz starts off stiff but midway through the film loosens up, allowing audiences to connect with his character’s pursuit for the German babe.

Director Jeff Schaffer keeps the film moving from one gross-out moment to another piece of immature humor but wisely uses the breathtaking European scenery to bring out the story and each of the characters personalities.

Understandably, the storyline is secondary (if that), but Eurotrip wasn’t produced to evoke long drawn-out discussion over philosophy. Instead it keeps with sidesplitting, lowbrow comedy that has been sorely missed throughout the beginning of 2004.

While Eurotrip isn’t up to par with last year’s Old School, it definitely is a step up from Road Trip. The movie does have a skillful supporting cast and a few surprising, well-cast cameos.

Eurotrip succeeds as a disposable comedy with outrageous humor and respect for the European culture it mocks. The movie is something you’ll laugh about over the weekend, but by the time Monday rolls around the film’s details will become hazy and those few hysterical scenes fade completely.

Toilet humor has never been so appealing and so nicely packaged in a 90-minute film that is disposable but utterly enjoyable.

Contact Pablo Saldana atoraclepablo@yahoo.com