USF looks for its first C-USA win

The USF women’s basketball team will take to the road this weekend in search of its first Conference USA victory, a victory the team needs to attain before returning home to face a pair of top-25 teams the following weekend.

The positive thing for the Bulls is that neither Saint Louis, USF’s opponent tonight at 8, nor Memphis, which the team will face Sunday at 3 p.m., is in the top half of the league.

The Billikens are winless in league play so far this season and sit at the bottom of C-USA, along with USF.

Memphis has just one victory in four conference games this season. But the Bulls don’t believe that because their opponents reside in the bottom half of the league that it will be an easy weekend. In fact, the Bulls’ mentality is 180 degrees from that.

“This isn’t an easy weekend, or whatever, every game is tough in this league, without question, especially going on the road,” USF associate head coach Harry Elifson said. “But we’re just more worried about ourselves getting better.”

One way the Bulls definitely can get better is pick up a road victory against one of these two teams this weekend, something that hasn’t occurred in school history. And that’s a big negative, especially for a team that has lost seven consecutive conference games dating back to last season.

The Bulls are 0-4 all-time at Saint Louis, as well as 0-6 all-time at Memphis. And that scenario makes it all the more difficult for a team that desperately needs to get back into the win column.

“I think it’s very important (to get at least one win),” Elifson said. “We let one get away at Charlotte, and East Carolina is a tough place to play, and then you come home and play two good teams (and lose).”

But the Bulls feel they understand what needs to be done in order to snap their season-high four-game losing streak.

“We need to have confidence in ourselves (and) go in there with the fire and drive to win and be enthusiastic and just believe that we can do it,” freshman guard Jessica Dickson said.

“We just need to learn how to win and play together,” Elifson said. “The kids have great attitudes, and we just need to learn how to win (and) finish the job.”

The Bulls could be without reserve point guard Melissa Tape. Tape was elbowed in Sunday’s loss to DePaul, and Elifson said Wednesday Tape was doubtful to play this weekend.

Sophomore transfer Ezria Parsons, however, seems to be showing signs of the player the Bulls staff talked about before this season. After nagging injuries slowed her at the beginning of the season, Parsons broke out Sunday against the Blue Demons with a career-high 14 points, while shooting 70 percent from the floor.