Reed’s record day

Senior J.R. Reed made all sorts of history Saturday at Memphis. The safety etched his name in several USF football record categories as he picked off three passes and returned a fumble and a kickoff for touchdowns.

Reed’s kickoff return for a touchdown to start the second half was the longest in school history at 96 yards, two yards longer than Charlie Jackson’s kick return in 1997 against Charleston Southern. Reed also returned a fumble for a touchdown in the third quarter, becoming the only USF player to score twice in one game on a return. Reed’s two returns for a touchdown also make him only the third player in USF’s history to score a touchdown on a return more than once in a season.

Reed’s three interceptions set him above the rest, making him the only USF player to pick off three passes in a single game. He was tied with several other players for the No. 1 position with two picks before Saturday’s game. Reed’s three interceptions also tied the Conference USA record for most picks in a game.

Jones one tackle shy of Mitchell’s record

With nine tackles in Saturday’s game against Memphis, senior Maurice Jones came up one tackle shy of Kawika Mitchell’s season record 117 tackles. Jones’ 116 tackles, however, are good enough to put him in the No. 2 spot, previously held also by Mitchell with 106 in one season. The results of Saturday’s tackle count are unofficial pending review from USF coaches.

Kobel ties tackles for loss record

Mitchell will have to share even more of the record book, this time with senior Craig Kobel, whose two tackles for loss on Saturday tied Mitchell’s season record 19 tackles for losses.