BOT approves fee hikes

The Board of Trustees approved an increase in student athletic and Student Health Services fees to begin in the 2004-05 school year Thursday. The total increase will be $1.16 per credit hour, which is split between the Athletic Department and Student Health Services at .58 cents each.

Harold Nixon, vice president of student affairs, said the need for the increase in the fee is because SHS needs to expand its facility.

“There is an increasing demand in the number of services that are being offered by our personnel,” Nixon said.

The .58 cent increase to the health fee will bring the total to $7.42.Lee Roy Selmon, athletic director for USF, said the increase in the athletic fee will help pay for the maintenance that will be needed on the new $7-million athletic facility that is being built. Selmon said the maintenance is estimated to cost about $700,000.

The .58 cent increase to the athletic fee will bring the $8.50 Tampa campus fee to $9.08.

Omar Khan, student body president, said he is always worried about increasing student fees but says he appointed committee members to look into the fee increases.

“I knew this would be coming but students’ A&S fees will not increase for next year,” Khan said.

Dick Beard, chairman of the BOT, said these fees are necessary to provide these changes to the university.

“We have to do this so that we don’t have to go the Legislature to get the money,” Beard said.