Search team aims to find new medical dean

USF President Judy Genshaft has appointed a chairman for a search committee that will look for a replacement for medical school dean and vice president of the Health Sciences Center, Robert Daugherty Jr.

Vice President of Research Ian Phillips will lead the committee, which will conduct a nationwide search.

The decision to start the search came after Genshaft made Daugherty return campaign contribution checks collected from medical staff members that were to be donated to state Rep. Johnny Byrd, R-Plant City, who is running for U.S. Senate.

Daugherty asked that 25 of his top-ranking employees contribute money so they could give Byrd at least $2,000 for his campaign. Only a dozen gave Daugherty checks.

Michael Reich, director of media relations for USF, said Genshaft chose Phillips because of his history within the Florida university system and the medical field.

“He seemed to be the logical choice,” Reich said. “He has been in Florida for a long time and understands the search process. He also has a medical background in heart research, which helps when looking for a position in medical research.”

Genshaft and Phillips are in the process of looking for a search firm, but no decision has been made on what firm it will be, Reich said.

The committee members have also not been chosen. Reich said that is because the president’s first goal is appointing an interim dean.

“She wants to appoint an interim dean then focus on the committee,” Reich said.

On Oct. 13, Daugherty was made aware that the search was to begin early when he met with Genshaft. Genshaft did not fire him, but told him an interim dean would replace him in the coming weeks. In addition, because of the time it takes to search for a dean of Health Sciences, Genshaft had said she wanted to start as early as possible.

However, both Genshaft and Daugherty had agreed earlier that he would remain dean until January when then the search would begin.

Reich said an interim dean will be named in the next couple of weeks and the president will most likely have a committee appointed by December to start the search.

The search for a new dean takes almost a year to complete, Reich said.

Daugherty, who makes $448,000 a year, oversees 2,800 employees and 1,800 students at USF’s Colleges of Nursing, Public Health and Medicine.

Daugherty and his wife, Joy Culverhouse, donated $500,000 for an academic enrichment center in the athletics facility that is currently being built.