A threat from every position

While the USF volleyball team continues to search for consistency in its 9-14 season, the Bulls will have some options on who to put on the court this weekend against TCU and Houston. The Bulls have options thanks to their jack-of-all-trades, sophomore Kelsi Andrew-Wasylik.

First brought to USF (3-3 in Conference USA) as a setter, Andrew-Wasylik has played as a libero and defensive specialist this year.

“I like to think that I’m athletic,” Andrew-Wasylik said. “I love to play all positions, and I love what I’m doing now because I still get to serve, I still get to pass and I get to hit in drills during practice, which I don’t get to do during a game.

“It’s better than having one position where you don’t get to do other things, so I love what I’m doing right now.”

Andrew-Wasylik’s past speaks to her athleticism. In high school she played volleyball, soccer, track and field and hockey.

The self-described utility player has come a long way, moving from snowsuits to swimsuits since high school.

Andrew-Wasylik, originally from Unionville, Ontario, just outside of Toronto, transferred to USF after a redshirt season at Kansas. She would not comment on the reason for leaving Kansas.

“I came on my visit, and I got along great with (coach) Nancy (Mueller) and (assistant) Claire (Roach), which was vital,” Andrew-Wasylik said. “On my visit, I got to hang out a lot with the girls. I loved it when I got here. I mean it’s Florida. It’s a lot different than the snow.”

Andrew-Wasylik carefully examined at her second stint as a collegiate volleyball player, researching each school, and looking at the number of players who were leaving throughout their tenure.

With USF losing setter Ale Domingos after her first season and setter Melayne Wootan after this season, Andrew-Wasylik was a match at setter.

She trained as a setter her first season, taking the court at that position for nine matches, and was prepared to do so this season until she suffered an injury in the spring.

“This year I got hurt during the preseason, and the only thing I could do was pass,” Andrew-Wasylik said. “After passing, Nancy decided to use me in the back row because Melayne was doing an excellent job setting.”

After the second match of this season, Andrew-Wasylik started for the Bulls as their libero until she injured her elbow in a match against Florida A&M.

After sitting for seven matches, the Bulls felt a lack of offensive firepower, so Andrew-Wasylik was moved to defensive specialist because of her ability with the float-jump serve.

“I’m playing a defense specialist, so I go in, I serve, play back row, then I come out,” she said. “Whereas libero goes in all the time, so I only play three rotations now.”

Andrew-Wasylik isn’t sure what position she will be playing in the future, just as long as she is on the court.

“I really have no idea what the future has in store for me,” she said. “I know Nancy is recruiting some bigger girls for next year. Hopefully in spring, I’ll be training as setter again as I was last year.

“As long as I’m on the court I’m happy.”