Oglesby becomes third Bull to bolt basketball team

The overhaul of the USF men’s basketball team continued Tuesday. Sophomore Danny Oglesby became the third player from departed coach Seth Greenberg’s 2002 recruiting class to leave the program.

Having not practiced since the team began workouts at midnight Friday, Oglesby asked for and was granted a release from his scholarship by coach Robert McCullum on Tuesday. Oglesby intends to transfer at the end of the semester, making him eligible to play at another Division I school in December 2004.

With Oglesby’s departure, Sam Barber, who redshirted last year with a broken wrist, is the last of Greenberg’s four 2002 recruits still with the team. After Greenberg left for the Virginia Tech job in April, it was revealed that Sheldon Franklin, a point guard who sat out last season with a torn ACL, had an ineligible test score and left the team. Yusuf Baker was then dismissed from the team for academics in July. Baker now attends the College of Southern Idaho.

Also, one of Greenberg’s recruits for this season, guard Ricardo Freeman was mutually released from his letter of intent.

Oglesby averaged 3.8 points per game last season when he appeared in 27 of 29 games. The 6-foot-1 combo guard, who is the all-time leading scorer in Connecticut high school history, started the Bulls’ final five games.

Anthony Gagliano

Bulls back-to-back

The USF women’s golf team finished in first place at the Mission Inn Fall Classic held at the Mission Hills Golf Club in Howie-in-the-Hills. The Bulls trailed Rollins by 10 strokes heading into the final round of the three-day tournament, but came back to win by one stroke Tuesday with the help of a poor day of play from the Rollins team.

Despite the victory, coach Susan Holt wasn’t too satisfied with the way her team performed.

“We didn’t have very good scores, but we got away with a win,” Holt said.

The win was the second in a row for the Bulls, who led from start to finish at the Beacon Woods Invitational last week.

Daniella Ronderos stood tall for her team, finishing fifth overall with rounds of 79, 77 and 76 for a total score of 232 for 54 holes.

Men finish 12th

The men didn’t fare as well, finishing in 12th place out of a 15-team field in the Gary Koch/Cleveland Golf Intercollegiate at the Old Memorial Golf Club in Tampa.

Matched up against the top teams in the country, including No. 1 Florida and No. 5 Georgia Tech, the Bulls held their own on the first day with rounds of 296 and 290, good enough to place 10th. On Tuesday, however, they shot a 309, causing them to drop two spots.

Ryan Shears led the Bulls with rounds of 76, 68 and 76, giving him a total score of 220 and placing him 27th overall. Coach Jim Fee cited inconsistency as the culprit.

“We need to get through a round without shooting double-bogies. We made some birdies, but every time you shoot a double-bogie, you have to make two birdies to make up for it,” he said.

Evan Lafalce