USF Library Web site gets face lift

Users of the USF Library Web site may have to adjust to a recently renovated site.

Since September 2002, the Council of Library Directors has been reviewing user suggestions with the Web Advisory Committee and consultants to create a more unified and contemporary Web site.

“We have worked with the Web Advisory Committee, which has representatives from all the campuses, who looked at the Web site through the perspective of the graduate student, the faculty and the distance learner to identify what wasn’t working and what needed to be changed,” said Phyllis Ruscella, director of the USF Tampa Library.

The Web site’s content and plans were finalized in February, and the new site was released May 12.

Although the site appears to be finished, it is currently in a six-week transition period. Ruscella said the Council of Library Directors will review the comments and suggestions that are made this summer to finalize the site for the fall semester. During the transition period, the original USF Library Web site may still be reached through a link available on the newly renovated site www.lib.usf.edu .

Along with the color changes, the content has also been updated to correct navigational difficulties. This is meant to unify the services and tools offered by six of the USF Library’s Web sites and incorporate recently mandated USF Web site standards.

Christopher Akin, a member of the Web Integration Team, said the Web site standards were implemented six months ago in an effort to show unification and organization among the USF Web sites.

“Before (the standards were implemented), some of the USF Web sites didn’t even look like they were a part of USF,” Akin said. “The standards make the Web sites have a better presentation for USF.”

Another addition to the content is a news highlight section to inform users of new Library collections, services, exhibits and events related to USF libraries.